Terms of Reference
Issued by the 2021 G20 Italian Presidency on January 27, 2021
G20 High Level Independent Panel (HLIP) on
Financing the Global Commons for Pandemic Preparedness and Response
- A G20 High Level Independent Panel (HLIP) on Financing the Global Commons for Pandemic Preparedness and Response is established on 26 January 2021.
- The HLIP is mandated by the G20 to fulfil the following responsibilities:
- Identify the gaps in the financing system for the global commons for pandemic prevention, surveillance, preparedness and response.
- Propose actionable solutions to meet these gaps on a systematic and sustainable basis, and optimally leverage resources from the public, private and philanthropic sectors and the international financial institutions. Solutions should take into account and build on related ongoing international initiatives, undertaken by relevant bodies, such as the Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response (IPPPR) and the Global Preparedness Monitoring Board (GPMB), to ensure coherence and avoid duplication.
- The members of the independent Panel comprise eminent individuals who collectively bring deep knowledge and experience in finance and governance. Members will contribute in their personal capacities. The Panel will be supported by a Project Team constituted by Bruegel and the Center for Global Development and a Secretariat from the US National Academy of Medicine and Wellcome Trust. The HLIP will provide an update of its work to the G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (G20 FMCBGs) at their meeting in April 2021, before presenting its report at the July 2021 meeting of the G20 FMCBGs.